Song Six

Recently completed the first setting of Song Six for my Retrospective.
The on-line documentation is not quite complete, but I am publishing this blog now (14.02.2014), because

Heloise Ph. Palmer will be giving the first performances of Song Six as part of her new program The Righteous Fatale between 19th February and 5th May 2014.

I am going to be there on 19th February, 8th March and 5th May.

The score was written using my Assistant Composer software, and designed to be playable by a live performer using a Doepfer R2M MIDI controller in conjunction with my Assistant Performer software. There are, however, several ways to play the piece. The Assistant Performer allows single tracks to be switched off, so the default sound of Clytemnestra's text can be overridden by a live performer, other MIDI input/output devices can be used, etc.

The mp3 recording (of the "default performance" embedded in the score) was made locally (off-line) using Audacity and the Assistant Performer software without a live performer.
Unfortunately I had to document this piece with an mp3 (rather than in the on-line AP) because it is currently rather difficult to play on-line. Not only is the Jazz plugin required, but users would also have to install the special sountFonts and a local soundFont player (I'm using the CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth).
This recording uses the Arachno SoundFont, and a new soundFont of my own (created using a microphone, Audacity and the Viena SoundFont Editor) that overrides some of the Arachno patches.
Clytemnestra's voice was realized by recording my own whispering voice, and allocating the individual syllables to particular notes in new patches.
I also made the Wind from scratch (in Audacity) because, strangely, I couldn't find anything suitable on the web.

As noted in my earlier blogs, the major browsers are currently implementing the Web MIDI API, so the Jazz plugin should soon become redundant.
It should be possible to implement a soundFont player in Javascript using the Web Audio API, so that this and other pieces could be played by anyone on the web. I think such a virtual device would be at least as useful as an on-line synthesizer. Is anyone else interested in (helping with) that?

No comments:

Post a Comment